-->

Monday, April 23, 2012

Sometimes it's Not Like

In Maddie's eyes I am currently unable to do anything wrong... With the exception of leaving her alone in her room for nap time. Any song I sing in my off key way has her smiling and cooing. Any food I feed her she at least tries to eat. A book, it doesn't matter which, has her practically jumping for joy between pictures and words. It doesn't take a lot to entertain, and unless she is tired, she is happy.

Tucker is a toddler. A toddler who just learned the phrase, "I don't like..." And now I hear it all the time. "I don't like that book," and he tosses it aside. "I don't like that song," as he walks away from my singing. "I don't like that," as he lets the toy fall through his fingers, or throws the piece of food. "I don't like that plate," as he pushes my efforts away from him with a look of disinterest bordering disgust. "I don't like mommy." Those. Words. Hurt.

Living a life of sacrifice is easy when you are sacrificing for people who sacrifice for you. It's wonderful even. To sacrifice on a daily, constant, basis for self-indulgent, self-serving, self-centered people is not easy. And yet that's what we are called to do, after all isn't that what being Christ-like looks like? Doesn't He love me, you, and all of the world, despite the fact that at the end of the day how many of us by our actions tell Him, "I love you," and how many of us are actually saying, "I don't like you..."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment